The MESB’s EMS Technical Operations Committee (TOC) is a committee of the Metro Region EMS System and consists of representatives of community health, physicians, EMS communications, and ambulance service providers. The individuals serving on the EMS TOC represent the ten metropolitan counties in addition to a mix of public and non-governmental EMS agencies. The Metro Region EMS System’s responsibility and accountability for regional EMS planning is carried out through quarterly meetings of the EMS TOC and bi-monthly meetings of its subcommittees, such as the Emergency Preparedness Subcommittee and EMS Multi-agency Coordination Center coordinating group. These committees are responsible for planning and the implementation of the regional EMS programs and projects. Additionally, the EMS TOC and its subcommittees serve as a forum for the identification and prioritization of new, immediate, emerging or future EMS issues and a collaborative to design a response or action plan for the Metro Region EMS System. Ultimately, the EMS TOC recommends to the MESB actions that are needed for the coordination and improvement of emergency medical services within the metropolitan region.
The EMS TOC meets the 3rd Tuesday of the first month of each quarter (March, June, September, and December) at 12:00 p.m. All meetings, unless otherwise noted, are held in the Board Room of the Metropolitan Counties Government Center, 2099 University Avenue West, St. Paul, MN 55104.
- The mission of the Metro Region EMS System is to:
- Maintain the capability to coordinate and sustain regional EMS system response strategy for surge capacity by providing and supporting education, planning and exercises.
- Maintain the Metro EMS Regional Coordination Center and ability to provide 24/7 on-call staffing for EMS multi-agency coordination (MAC), which could also provide state EMS coordination.
- Maintain a regional deployable cache of EMS response equipment.
- Maintain and sustain the operations and response capabilities of the Metro Region EMS mass casualty incident (MCI) bus.
- Support and maintain the Minnesota Metropolitan Regional Trauma Advisory Committee operations.
- Provide EMS leadership within the Metro Health & Medical Preparedness Coalition.
- Provide education on current EMS topics or issues to EMS providers in the metro region.
- Enhance the knowledge and/or skills of EMS providers and managers.
- Support the Metro Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) team.
- Offer grants to:
- improve the coordination of emergency medical response in the nine-county metropolitan area;
- improve resource utilization;
- demonstrate enhanced cost-effectiveness of services;
- evaluate medical equipment, treatments and pre-hospital interventions;
- improve pre-hospital medical care skills of emergency medical responders in the metropolitan region;
- evaluate trends or developments in pre-hospital care;
- establish a basis for pre-hospital protocols or standard operating procedures; or
- otherwise demonstrate a positive impact on regional EMS services.
2020 EMS TOC Members
Chair – Brian Edwards, Northfield Hospital EMS
Vice-Chair – Kevin Novotny, North Memorial Ambulance, Metro
Allina Health EMS – Kevin Miller
Anoka County – Susan Perkins
Burnsville – BJ Jungmann
Carver County – Deb Paige
CentraCare EMS – Frank Zinken
Cottage Grove EMS – Rick Redenius
Dakota County – Amalia Roberts
Edina Fire – Ryan Quinn
Elk River Ambulance – Steve Dittbenner
Gold Cross, St. Cloud – Open
Hastings Fire & Ambulance – John Townsend
Hennepin County – Kristin Mellstrom*
Hennepin EMS – Marty Sheerer
Isanti County – Bruce Hildebrandt*
Lakes Region EMS – Ben Wasmund
Lakeview EMS – Jon Muller
M Health Fairview- Tom Edminson
Mahtomedi Fire – Terry Fischer
Maplewood Fire – Mike Mondor
Mdewakanton Public Safety – Greg Hayes
Medical Director, East – RJ Frascone, MD
Medical Director, West – John Hick, MD
Minneapolis Fire – Amber Lage
Northfield Hospital EMS – Brian Edwards*
North Memorial Ambulance, Metro – Kevin Novotny*
North Memorial Ambulance, Forest Lake – Shawn McDonough
North Memorial Ambulance, PZM – open
Oakdale Fire – Jeff Anderson
Ramsey County – Laura Andersen
Ridgeview Ambulance – Jeff Frederick
St. Paul Fire – Matt Simpson Scott County – Alexa Rundquist
Sherburne County – Adam Boler
South Metro Fire – Terry Anderson
Washington County – Angela Eastman
White Bear Lake Fire – Greg Peterson
Woodbury Public Safety – JB Guiton
EMS Emergency Preparedness Subcommittee Chair – Jeff Lanenberg*
*Denotes EMS TOC Executive Committee member